Saturday, June 7, 2008

a few words about our guest speakers from last week....

Since no one has really brought this up on the blog (and we didn't talk about it in class) I just wanted to start a thread about Orlando and Greg coming to talk to our class. Being in the science program, I have run into these two fellas a couple of times in my other classes. I always walk away from their talks and presentations feeling very inspired. For me, it is good to hear about how these teachers started, the difficulties they may have had, and how they have integrated their ideal way of teaching into their classroom as they have progressed in their careers. When Orlando and Greg came to talk last week, it was a light bulb experience for me. It really was what I have been looking to hear for a long time....and finally I got it. The way that they connected theory to practice was fantastic. It was great to hear a real science teacher say here's the theory I believe in and here's how it looks in my classroom. I think that bringing current teachers into the classroom to speak with us (preservice teachers) is fantastic. I am always looking for an opportunity to network and meet new teachers that I may be able to use as a resource in the future. Anyways, I was inspired. Thanks for bringing in the boys, Liz :)

4 comments:

Kelly H said...

I completely agree with your comments. As a new teacher, it is always helpful to hear inspiring and realistic thoughts from colleagues. It was also helpful for me to hear how theory is applied because I'm just beginning my journey of understanding educational theory and sometimes feel discouraged that I'm not always incorporating 'best practice'. Very few teachers truly understand or try to utilize theory, and I sometimes feel frustrated and alone. Knowing that other teachers are working diligently to find what works best in the classroom is inspiring.

Genna said...

Being in the science program as well, I, like Cassandra have seen greg and orlando speak before. It is always inspiring to hear about new teachers' stuggles, successes, and failures! I like the fact that they have stayed connected to the warner school and are such dedicated teachers. I would love to be able to hear from more new teachers about their integration of theory and practice!

Hali Tomczak said...

I agree! Having just started my classes at Warner, seeing teachers who have actually been able to take the theories we have been talking about in class and apply them to their own classrooms is very reassuring. It has been hard for me to connect the theory to the classroom, just because I have no experience in the classroom. Their comment about not giving up because it is easy to get tired and frustrated, but stick to what we believe in, was very helpful. Also, that finding a support group our first year of teaching will help too. I know more teachers will be coming into class, and I look forward to hearing their ideas and stories as well.

Brittany Soper said...

I agree too. It was nice to see that there are teachers that are so passionate about making their classrooms a community of learners and that they can actually make it work! I was really interested when Greg was talking about how they do everything in teams, even tests. I imagine that he gets a lot of resistance for things like that and it is great that he is able to do it and make it work.