Monday, June 23, 2008

literacy vs. illiteracy

Earlier I had posted definitions of both these terms. Now I come back to it after a group discussion we had in class about literacy. We spoke about literacy and being consciencious of individual student progress. However, what it boiled down to was...ultimately students progress is determined through a standardized state at the end of the year. Are we preparing our students and teaching them enough for these tests that "prove" their progress? Or are we trying to be "accepting" of who they are and understand that not every student learns the same? In my opinion, it isn't all this school stuff that bothers me so much as real life scenarios our students will face and may fail depending on their literacy abilities. I mean school is what is supposed to prepare them for life after school, whether that means more higher education or a job.

No comments: