Friday, June 20, 2008

Slam...

I have always enjoyed slam poetry, for those of you just starting you will hear more about it and see more demonstrations. It is important to see that students are passionate about something and through their passion you learn from them and about them! I thought Elliot was great I wish I could get some of that type of passion out inside the classroom!! I also wanted to touch on how funny it was to have the classes joined. We are a completely different class when we are separate. I think our class is a very relaxed relaxed community and when the other class came in it was like a joining of 2 different worlds. Its funny to think that a teacher (or professor) can make a huge difference in the attitude of the class!! Thanks Liz!!

3 comments:

Brittany Soper said...

I really enjoyed it. When Elliot was talking about being in school, it made me think how unfortunate it is that most of his teachers may have no idea that he has so much to say. It is great that his school has asked him to perform at school events, but other than that it seems like it is not valued or welcomed in classes at all.

ANNA said...

It was great to have Elliot as a speaker! While he was talking about his classes (especially social studies) I wondered how I would feel if I was his teacher. I think as teachers it always important to give our students positive reinforcement! For students to have a hobby or extra curricular activity to build self esteem and character is beautiful thing! I couldn't imagine going to school and home and continuing that routine! It can be draining to dedicate your time only to one specific interest. It's the people who have multiple interests that seem to be the most successful and probably content too! As teachers, I think it's good to encourage students to take pride not only in their school work but in their talents outside of school, as well.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about the school asking him to edit/censor his poetry.

I don't know whether to give him cuddos for playing within the system or to encourage him to use some form of civil disobedience and say what he wants to say. I'm torn about that.

There are times to play within the system and times to tear the system down. Which one is it when a school tries to censor a students poetry? Does the fact that it was a school sanctioned public performance make a difference?